Sunday, November 3, 2013

The Big Boat Move


The Big Boat Move

Before I begin I wanted to say that I don't believe that the previous owners new about any of the problems we encountered.  Tom and Kathy took very good care of this boat in the 22 years they owned her.  As we work on the boat now we can see how well systems are organized and maintained.  However, it is a 33 year old boat and things wear out.  When we bought Ahwahnee she had been sitting in a boat yard for two years.  Tom and Kathy came down and helped put the boat back in the water and get her ready to sail again.  They spent a very long week doing what they would normally do in a month and we appreciate all their help.  Now, on to the story.

Wendy, Michael Olstad and I flew down to FL to move the boat from the West Coast to the East Coast.  We bought Kailani in Punta Gorda, FL on the west coast of the state and during our boat search we found a great marina in Ft. Pierce, FL.  It was to be about a 500 mile trip from where the boat was moored, down around the southern tip of FL and back up to the marina.

We arrived at the boat with the necessities - beer, tequila, limeade and of course some food.  No tools, no diagnostic equipment.  After all the boat had a stellar survey and certainly had no glaring issues.  We already had the standing rigging replaced, so nothing major should go wrong.

We had moored the boat at a very generous couple's house for the month of August.   They watched over the boat and even offered to allow us to fill the water tanks before we left.  Plus they helped us cast off when it was time to leave - thanks again Bonnie and Jerry.

As we were loading the boat I noticed a little dirt on the saloon table.  That seemed strange so I looked around for the source and decided it came from the headliner near the mast.  I poked around up there and saw a live termite.  Welcome Aboard!

There was nothing that could be done at the time, so we finished loading the boat and shoved off.  We pulled forward about 10' before running aground.  No problem, we would just back up...where we made it nearly 20' before running around again.  The sun was setting and the tide was falling.  We pushed the front of the boat out into the canal, wiggled the rudder, revved the engine and slowly pulled out into the channel.  We managed to get out to an anchorage as the sun set with no further incident.

Later that evening someone went to use the head (marine toilet) and noticed that the inlet water was not turned on.  No problem, I flipped the valve to open the line to supply water to the head so it could be flushed.  Immediately water began running across the bathroom floor.  I looked around and found the source was a broken fitting in the inlet line right behind the head.  It leaked constantly, but much worse when pumping the head.  Hmmm, it was going to be a long week if we couldn’t flush the head.  We decided that we would turn on the water each time we needed to flush, turn it off when finished then mop the floor.  The leak was inlet water, not outlet water, so while it wasn’t fun, it wasn’t like we were mopping up sewage.

The next morning we got up early, before the sun came up.  Started the engine and started pulling up the anchor.  It all went well until the chain jammed in the windlass (the electric winch that raises the anchor).  Now we had 50' of chain and a 65lb anchor stuck in mud to get on the boat with no mechanical help.  I tried pulling it in by hand, but with the wind blowing the boat back I was no match.  Wendy suggested using the cockpit winch to help pull up the anchor.  While we couldn’t do that directly, we could run a line from the anchor chain back to the winch and use that to crank up the anchor.  I pulled on the chain as Wendy cranked the winch and the anchor slowly came on board.  It only took an hour and a half, but we were ready to go.

We were off, we still had a chain jammed in the windlass that I needed to figure out, but at least we were moving.  Aside from there being no wind, everything else seemed to be working well.  The engine RPMs were not showing up, but we were told that happened when the batteries were fully charged, so no big deal.  We motored out of the bay and headed south.

 With no wind and flat seas it was easy motoring.  Set the autopilot, lean back and relax.  We had time to watch for dolphins and other sea life; talk, read, eat or just do nothing.  I decided to try to remove the jam in the same way we brought in the anchor – run a line from a cockpit winch up to the chain and start cranking.  It popped free with little effort.  Winches are great.

Due to the late start and easy motoring we decided to continue straight through the night.  That would put us in the FL Keys early enough to fix the cracked fitting on the inlet hose then get some rest.  As usual everyone agreed to get some sleep so I wouldn’t be the only one awake at 4 am.  As usual, they didn’t.

We continued to motor on through the night watching the chart plotter to see where we were and adjusting the autopilot as needed.  I figured out we could flush the head by filling it up with fresh water from the shower hose.  So, now we didn’t need to open the inlet line at all.  That solved another problem for us; even if I found a fitting to replace the broken one, I had no tools to install the new one.  No need now, we had enough fresh water to last all the way to Ft Pierce.

Around midnight Michael said, “The chart plotter stopped working.”  I figured it was just a setting and went to take a look at it.  I was wrong, it was broken.  It had stopped receiving the GPS signal, so while it could display the chart it had no idea where we were on that chart.  This was a pain, but not life threatening.  I had a handheld GPS and the boat had a backup GPS down at the nav station.  It would just mean that I would have to plot our position on a paper chart.  People have done it for hundreds of years; it’s just not as easy as a chart plotter.

4 A.M., I’m awake, no one else is.  We’re in the Bay of Florida, a large shallow are between the Everglades and the FL Keys.  I’m looking for a channel marker with a spot light.  The GPS and chart say that I’m about the run into it, but I can’t find the thing.  According to the chart it is 50 feet tall and has a red flashing light.  How hard can it be to find?  I check the GPS and chart again.  And again - it is 4 am after all.  I’m right where I belong, but the marker isn’t.  There are shallow areas past the marker, so I just make the turn as if it were there.  Now I can see other flashing red lights that mark the left side of the channel, but I can’t find any of the green markers that mark the right side of the channel.  I can’t go straight to the red markers because there are shallow in the way.  I plot my next heading and just trust my compass.

 

Its 5 A.M., Michael is now awake, but that’s not much help.  He keeps asking questions about what he can do to help.  I’m tired and trying to find the next marker, I’m picturing parking the boat on a reef in the dark of night, there are lights everywhere and the next marker is nowhere to be found, I don’t need to answer questions, too.  I check the course, check the GPS, check the chart, repeat, repeat, repeat.  Once again I reach the point where the marker should be and nothing is there.  Now I’m really concerned; am I where I think I am or not?

5:30 A.M., Michael has stopped asking questions, I know he is just trying to help, but I’m beyond being able to think straight.  I approach the spot where the next marker should appear.  I’m shining the spotlight around; it’s hard to see anything because we are getting close to 7 mile bridge which is lit up like a Christmas tree.  I keep waving the light side to side looking for any reflection.  Finally! I spot the green reflection I’ve been waiting for!  I’m so happy I could cry.  I didn’t realize how stressed I was until I felt how relived I was.  The marker is where it belongs; it has the right color and the right number.  We are on course.  Whew.

6 A.M. we have reached 7 mile bridge.  Actually, there are two bridges, an old RR bridge with a section cut out right next to 7 mile bridge which has a raised span to allow for sailboats to pass under.  The middle of the section has 65 feet of clearance at high tide; we only reach up 53 feet from the water, so this will be an easy pass.  We approach the RR bridge and pass right down the middle of the opening.  Looking forward I can’t figure out the lights.  I can see the span right ahead of me, I can see a channel through the pilings, but the lights don’t seem right.  I’m about to reach the bridge when I suddenly figure out that the channel zigzagged between the bridges.  I’m about to pass under a lower section of the bridge.  It should be ok, but I don’t know that for sure.  I yank the wheel to the left and the bow snaps around.  The lights now make sense.  We motor forward a little ways; I spin the wheel back to the right and pass under 7 mile bridge right under the center span.  Wow, I’m tired.

6:30 A.M. and the sun is getting ready to rise.  The sky is turning a light grey and I can see around me.  There are three markers up ahead which I cannot yet see, but they’ll be coming into view soon.  Everyone is up; I pass the steering off and go forward to look for the markers.   Now would be a nice time to have binoculars.

We find the next three markers with no problems, the sun is on the horizon and the world is coming to life.  Other boats start to appear on the water and we’re heading into the channel they are leaving.  We pull into Boot Key Harbor in Marathon, FL and stop at the first marina.  We fill up on diesel, fill our dinghy tank with gas and get a free basket of ice.  Yes, that’s right.  They bring out a laundry basket full of ice which quickly disappears into our coolers.  I try to start the engine and it doesn’t want to turn over.  Odd.  I try again and it starts right up.  That’s more like it.

We find a place to anchor thankful that the chain is no longer stuck in the windlass.  The anchor sticks well in the soft bottom and finally we are safe and sound in a quiet anchorage.  The first order of business is to find a grocery store and buy some more supplies.  Google Map points us to a Publix at the far end of the anchorage, so we hop into the dinghy and begin a long drive over.  The anchorage is about 1.5 miles long and all “Idle Speed Only”.  That means we are going about the speed we could stroll.  We finally arrive at the Publix only to find a fenced off area marked “Private”.  Everything down there is marked “Private”.  Someone on a boat comes out to yell across the water, “Hey, you can’t dock there.  That’s private!”  Oh, OK, thanks for reading the signs for us.  You’re a big help.

We get back to the boat an hour after we left with nothing to show for it.  Google again provides us with a place to park our dinghy.  It only costs $22 and leaves us with a 2 mile walk to the grocery store.  There is nothing we need that bad.  It’s time for a beer.  Even though it is only 11 A.M., as Jimmy Buffet says, “It’s 5 o’clock somewhere.”  After a few beers we all get some much needed sleep.

We wake up late in the afternoon, make some sandwiches for dinner, prepare some margaritas then sit around, talk and watch a great sunset.  Early to bed that night and early to rise the next morning.

It’s before the sun rises and we’re up cleaning the boat and readying the boat for sailing.  We’ll be out in the Gulf Stream today, hopefully with some wind and certainly some waves.  Everything put away, strapped down and cleaned up I go to start the engine.  Nothing.  At all.  I go below and check the batteries to find they are at about half charge.  No way are they going to turn the diesel engine over.  Like in the cartoons a little light bulb goes on over my head.  The engine hasn’t been showing the RPMs because the alternator is not running.  Either the alternator is broken or the regulator.  At this point it makes no difference, we’ve drained the batteries.  We have solar panels that will charge the batteries up.  With sunny days we should be able to start the engine in about 3 days.

OK, just getting a jump start isn’t going to help since the alternator isn’t charging.  We need another source of electricity like a generator.  I do a search for Lowes and nothing shows up in the Keys.  A search for Home Depot yields exactly one in all the Keys.  It happens to be in Marathon right off of Boot Key Harbor.  A check with them confirms that they sell small generators and have some in stock.  Michael and I hop in the dinghy and motor over to a mangrove forest where we find a path the leads to the Home Depot. We’re obviously not the first boaters to make this trip.  We find a generator, head back to the dinghy, load it up and get ready to start the motor.  Then I realize I’ve dropped the key for the kill switch “somewhere”.  I retrace our steps back through the mangroves and the Home Depot with no success.  Someone found it and walked off with it.  No one turned it in at Lost and Found and they don’t sell them at Home Depot.  I buy a spool of twine and return to the dinghy.  I take some twine and wrap it around the kill switch over and over until the kill switch is held in the “on” position.  We crank up the engine and return to the boat.

On the boat we have a little crane to lift the outboard.  We use that to easily lift the generator onboard.  We add gas and oil, get the generator started and hook it up to charge the batteries.  By noon the engine is started.  This time when we pull the anchor up I put all the chain on deck as it comes in then feed it down the pipe after the anchor is up.   Only 6 hours behind schedule and we are on our way!  We get out to the Gulf Stream and have good wind – right on our nose.  Another day of motoring, but we are helped on our way by the stream.

The rest of the day goes by uneventfully and we anchor just before sunset.  We get to bed early in anticipation of another early morning.

I get up and start the generator.  We let it run while we have breakfast and get the boat ready to leave.  The engine starts fairly easily and once again we head out towards the Gulf Stream.  Today the wind is on our beam; great for sailing!

I knew better, but I made the mistake anyway.  Kailani has a set of davits on the stern to hang the dinghy.  When we left we had the dinghy hanging on the davits.  What we should have done was remove the engine from the dinghy then lift the dinghy onto the deck, so it would be out of the way.  We got out into the Gulf Stream and the waves were confused, mostly on the beam, but sometimes on the bow or the stern.  One of the waves hit the dinghy with a enough force to break the davits. Michael was steering.  I had him turn the boat into the wind while I tried to crank the engine.  Fortunately, it started right up.  I jumped over to the davits to see what I could do the salvage the situation.  The dinghy is on its side and the engine is bumping up against the back of the boat.  I climbed part way over the rail and managed to reach the dinghy.  I tied a line to the handle on the side and pulled it up as high as I could.  I tied a line around the dinghy engine and pulled that up as high as possible.  Then I grabbed a winch handle and used that to beat the davits back together.  I had Michael steer straight north back towards the Keys.  We were done sailing for the day and needed to get in behind the reef to get some protection from the waves.

As we were heading back in I was trying to figure out where we were on our charts.  There was a very shallow area that we needed to miss.  The shallow area was about 2 feet deep and our draft is over 5 feet.  It would not end well if we ran into that.  Wendy took over steering and I went to the front of the boat to look for markers.  Once again, it would have been nice to have some binoculars.  I see a marker and we head for it.  I think it is the marker we need, but I’m not positive.  As Wendy steers I maintain a lookout for shallow water.  There is an area that looks suspicious, but it isn’t where it should be if were heading to the correct marker.  As we approach I realize I’ve screwed up.  We’re heading to a different marker and are about the beach the boat on a reef!  I lunge for the wheel, yank it sideways and manage to turn just before we hit shallow water. 

Now that I have figured out where we are, things get easier.  We find the channel and motor the rest of the day up to No Name Harbor in Key Biscayne.   Finally we arrive in the harbor.  Nice and quiet, no waves, gentle breeze, showers, rest rooms, restaurant, awesome.  I spend the next hour sorting out the dinghy and dinghy engine then we head ashore to enjoy the amenities.

The next day we take the time to pull the dingy up on deck and store the engine.  The diesel was slow to start and it was an hour or so before we could get underway.  The batteries are slowly charging, but they are still way below full capacity.  We get outside the reefs and put up the sails.  The wind is good, the waves are small, the sun is shining and we are sailing along at 8 knots with little effort.  We couldn’t ask for a better day as we sail past Miami.

That afternoon we sailed into Ft Lauderdale.  There is a bridge there that is 56 feet above the water at high tide.  We stand 53 feet and have a vhf antenna on the top of the mast.  That leaves us inches.  I steer the boat, so it will be my fault if something doesn’t go right.  We line up with the center of the span and sloooowly move forward.  From our perspective it looks like we are going to hit for sure.  I brace for the impact, but it doesn’t happen.  We slide under the bridge looking like we must be brushing the underside and come out the far side with no issues.  We motor up the Intercostal Waterway (ICW) to where we plan to anchor for the night and come to a drawbridge.  A drawbridge that opens to the sea must open as a sailboat approaches, but one on the ICW opens on a schedule.  The thinking is that when coming from the sea you may not have the luxury of waiting, so they just open when you show up.  On the ICW you can wait around until the scheduled opening time without it being life threatening.  The drawbridge has instructions written on the side, but they are small letters.  If only we had binoculars. Of course, we don’t, so we motor right up to the bridge to read the bridge name and the vhf hailing channel.  The bridge operator gives us a time and we hang out for 25 minutes until he opens the bridge.

We arrive where we are supposed to anchor for the night and it doesn’t look right.  We are where the cruising guide says to be, but it is a narrow channel and there is nothing around.  We motor up another channel and find a wider place with sailboats already anchored.  We drop the hook and enjoy a nice quiet evening surrounded by multi-million dollar houses.


The next two days pass pretty much the same way.  Beautiful weather, small waves, good wind, quiet anchorage.
In general, life’s good.  Except the early morning of the last day.  On our final day we had to leave our anchorage in Palm Beach very early.  We lift the anchor at 5 am in light rain and head out into an approaching storm.  If we can move quickly enough we'll beat the storm, but its going to be a close call.  We motor out the channel into 6 foot breaking waves, 40 knots of wind and pitch blackness, except for when lightening illuminates everything.  Heading into the waves while we get offshore isn't too bad, but when we turn north the waves are on our beam making us roll side to side.  We push the diesel as hard as we can in an effort to escape before the lightening reaches us.  Over the next hour the wind begins to diminish, the lightening falls behind and the waves decrease in size.  By 9 am the skies have cleared, the wind has dropped, there is no sign of the storm and we are sailing along at 7 knots. 
Later that day we run out of water.  No big deal, we have water in our second tank, we just need to turn some valves and we’re all set.  We shut off tank 1, open up tank 2 and nothing.  Maybe the line is clogged?  Turns out that’s not the case, but I’ll save that story for another time.

We arrive at the marina in Ft Pierce on a Saturday around noon.  Since we won’t be back on the boat for a month we strip it down.  We didn’t want a hurricane showing up and ripping everything off for us.  We deflate the dinghy, remove all the sails and remove most of the canvass.  With nowhere else to store everything, it all goes down below.  I take a taxi over to pick up a rental car, stop by ACE hardware to buy some locks then head back to the boat to lock it all up.  When we put our new generator into one of the cockpit lockers I have to move some stuff around.  I find a trail of termites running around.  Great.



Nothing we can do now, but that’s something we’ll have to take care of soon.  For now, its drive back to Tampa to catch a flight back to Austin.

No comments:

Post a Comment